The Razor Side Mount Cave Course allows you to experience the freedom and flexibility of diving Side Mount in a cave at its best.
The Razor harness and wing combined were designed by expert cave divers and cave explorers Steve Bogaerts and HP Hartmann, cofounders of Go Side Mount.
Years of experience and hours of side mount cave diving and cave exploration led to the Razor Side Mount System development. And along with it appeared the necessity of developing a cave course program to be taught by experienced cave instructors committed to high-quality standards: certified Razor cave instructors.
Above is a demonstration of the Razor harness performance at its early stages… Already extremely stable underwater. The BAT wing came later to make it even better. BAT stands for Buoyancy And Trim, and it delivers. Check out Steve Boegarts demonstrating some of the skills you will learn during your Razor Side Mount training (Video by HP Hartmann in the Cenotes of Mexico) and use and fine-tune during your Razor Cave Diving Training
During the Razor Side Mount course, you learned side mount equipment configuration, including harness adjustment, cylinder configuration, regulator configuration, proper weighting, and weight distribution for the best trim.
Explore Exciting Dive Sites During the Razor Full Cave Course!
Embark on an adventure through sites featuring restrictions, jumps, T-intersections, and intricate navigation, including circuits and traverses. Familiarize yourself with renowned locations like Tajma Ha and Ponderosa (Cenote of Eden), where you’ll delve into jump lines encountered in the Intro to Cave Course. Discover new sites, such as the challenging Minotauro, ideal for honing complex navigation and overcoming restrictions.
Cap off your course with a thrilling graduation dive, selected based on your skill level and preferences. Whether it’s a familiar site or a new underwater haven, this dive allows you to showcase your newfound skills without the pressure of drills and practice scenarios.
Dive theory is covered in our classroom and during land drills at the cenotes, and any required confined water review is conducted in the cenote pools. Join us for an unforgettable journey into the depths!
What will I learn during my Razor Cave Diving Training
- During your Razor Cave Diving Training, you will improve your dive skills :
- Regulator switches with one hand,
- Propulsion techniques,
- Equipment failure handling (bungee, bolt snap, tank clamps, batwing, regulators, etc.),
- Other general side mount skills adapted to the Razor system for its best use.
You will also put all these skills into practice in the most challenging conditions during the cave training
- Install and recover a guideline,
- Follow the line with and without visibility,
- contingency planning
- Planning and executing dives involving complex navigation as a team
- Passing through restrictions
- Zero visibility exits while gas sharing across complex navigation and through restrictions
- Planning and executing complex circuits and/or traverses
- Predive checks and planning procedures
- Gas-sharing practice before every dive
- Line following and referencing
- Team positioning and placement in the cave
- Gas sharing exits
- Simulated gear failures (mask and light failures, valve shutdowns, freeflows, etc.)
- Neutrally buoyant, no-contact, properly positioned safety stops
- Lost line and missing diver drills
We highly recommend you train with a certified Razor Cave Instructor using years of cave diving experience shared through the Razor Side Mount Cave Course. But be aware… Side Mount Cave Diving is highly addictive!!
- Certified Razor Side Mount Diver
- 25 logged dives beyond training dives
- Own your Razor side mount system: The course has to be in your own Razor Side Mount System complete as some of the skills are specific to the equipment.
- 8 days minimum
- 16 cave dives
- Open water sessions
- Land drills
Why Razor? and why a Razor Side Mount Cave course?
When Steve Bogaerts and HP Hartmann come together to design a full set of gears from scratch and make it evolve into what it is today, you can expect something efficient and of high quality, and it is!
Many years of experience and many hours of Side Mount Cave diving have led to the Razor Side Mount System and the Razor Side Mount Cave Diving Course program.
And today, we are proud to be part of the team of Razor Cave Instructors (Géraldine Solignac, Razor Side Mount Instructor) and to be able to share that knowledge with you and share all the fun that goes with it.
What you will learn?
- Laying and following a guideline
- Complex Navigation
- Zero visibility
- Gas management
- Out-of-Air procedures
- etc. and you will put into practice all the basic skills learned during your Razor Basic Open Water Training
Why is the Razor Side Mount Cave Course longer than other Side Mount courses?
This is how long it takes to get an Open Water side mount diver to master all cave diving skills and safety procedures the way you will use them through your entire diver career, eg for stage cave diving, DPV cave diving, Side Mount CCR diving and your Razor harness and wing will take all those steps with you.